Monday, August 3, 2009

DVD Release & Season 2 Scoop

As hoped for, I got the Dollhouse DVD set for my birthday. It arrived in my mailbox on August 1st. I finally had a chance to break it open today, and I started by watching the original, unaired pilot, Echo. I really enjoyed this pilot, and now, want to go back and watch Disk 1, episode 1, to compare and contrast the 2.

The original pilot focuses on introducing Echo, Ballard, Sierra, and Victor. I seem to remember the reveal of Victor as a Doll to be somewhat shocking; I guess, originally the audience knew from the start. Clips of Echo performing "pro-bono" and "do-gooder" type assignments, including helping a young alcoholic woman sober up and re-connect with her family. (And I could swear that drunk was the little girl from Growing Pains, all grown up.) Ballard prods Victor for info regarding a possible Borodine-Dollhouse connection, and when Victor sends Ballard to an abandoned hotel basement, Ballard encounters a Caroline look-alike who claims to be searching for her missing sister, but has really been programmed to assassinate Ballard. Meanwhile, Dr. Saunders and Topher spar back at the Dollhouse, and Saunders' seeming hatred for Topher is revealed as they discuss the "grouping" tendencies of Victor, Sierra, and Echo.

I originally came in on the 3rd episode. I loved the show so much I went back and watched the 2 I'd missed on Hulu. I'm interested in seeing the series again from the start, as I remember being a little more confused by the 1st episode. I'm thinking the unaired pilot would have been a better way to introduce the series, but perhaps, would not have built the suspense. I'll post again later, after I've had a chance to rewatch the 1st aired episode.

The 12 aired episodes are contained on the first 3 disks of the DVD set. The 4th disk contains the unaired Epitaph One, as well as the Special Features. These include the aforementioned original pilot, commentary on Epitaph One, Deleted Scenes, and 4 featurettes. I'll be posting reviews of these over the next month, as I re-watch the first season.

In the meantime, Kristen at E! Online reports some season 2 scoop:

Show runner Joss Whedon spilled some Dollhouse dish at the Television Critics Association tour about what's in store for Echo (Eliza Dushku). Joss says, "Echo starts really realizing that as a person, she not only exists, but that she has a mission—that she has something she wants. This year we are going to see the results of everything she went through last year, particularly the event with Alpha where she was downloaded with all of her personalities. We are going to see what effect that's had on her, and we are going to find her to be a great deal less passive and a great deal more directed in what she wants, and that is, of course, going to make her life a lot harder. And the more she finds out about what is going on around her and the more we find out, the creepier it is going to get, because creepy is what it makes it fun."

Kristen also confirms reports that Amy Acker will be reprising her role as Dr. Saunders, despite being cast in Happy Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment